Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Gutted

Dictionary.com
gut·ted, gut·ting, guts
* To remove the intestines or entrails of; eviscerate.
* To extract essential or major parts of: gut a manuscript.
* To destroy the interior of: Fire gutted the house.

Urban Dictionary
1.Gutted

1) Bad luck
2) Shame
3) Ouch





Today I absolutely understand why the British (English, whatever) use the term gutted ... it so aptly describes the loss that I feel right now.

Some great friends of ours have gone and moved ... they didn't chose to, but it was one of the inevitable things - work. Move or find a new job. They moved.

I watched them drive away today and I felt gutted. A huge loss ... for my family, for the community. I cried, my children cried, Mr. Farmer got something stuck in his eye. They cried too.

We, of course, will make new friends. In time. So will they. They are moving to a nice neighborhood, into a much larger house ... they are getting many perks for the move - because his company knows he doesn't want to go. But they'll have it easier .. they have done it before. Many times.

I haven't - we haven't. They were our first friends when we moved to our new community. They instantly welcomed us and our dysfunction. We all hit it off ... bonding in a genuine, long lasting way -- not like the friend dating that I have mentioned before. (Can anyone tell me how to link back to previous posts?) We have spent many holidays together, bailed each other out too many times to count and not once gotten angry at each other ... that says something.

I am looking (trying) on the bright side, we will have people to visit in a State we have never before been. I hope to go one day ... sooner rather than later.

Yes, I feel gutted today ... but it could be worse. Just look at the headlines ... it could be so much worse!


Frannie


The loss of a friend is like that of a limb; time may heal the anguish of the wound, but the loss cannot be repaired.

No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth.
Robert Southey



Proverbs 27:1-6
1 Do not boast about tomorrow,
for you do not know what a day may bring forth.

2 Let another praise you, and not your own mouth;
someone else, and not your own lips.

3 Stone is heavy and sand a burden,
but provocation by a fool is heavier than both.

4 Anger is cruel and fury overwhelming,
but who can stand before jealousy?

5 Better is open rebuke than hidden love.

6 Wounds from a friend can be trusted,
but an enemy multiplies kisses.

3 comments:

christa said...

when i was little, my dad followed his job. they promised him everything... and then out of no where, the company went under. not good. best of luck to your friends.

The Cube said...

i know what that is like, I have lost too many friends to them, or me moving away. Everytime we always say we'll keep in touch, but ultimatly the distance gets to it and they just fade away.

Sad.

Anonymous said...

Let me tell you, I have friends all over the country. Some of them move off and you never hear from them again. Others are very religious in keeping in touch. I guess that's how penpals come about.

To link to a previous post, you just do it the same as linking to any other site. Just go to that post like you were going to leave a comment and then copy the URL from the address bar. It will look something like: http://youcantunscramblescrambledeggs.blogspot.com/2007/06/prayer.html