Sunday, February 18, 2007

Frannie's Fixin's & Cookin' Tips

So this is something that I intended to do once a week. Then I got behind ... and then I wasn't sure if people were really interested ... and well, then I just didn't do it.

But I miss it - so here ya are ...

So your Butcher Block is stinky?
Here is a sure-fire wayt to deodorize a wooden butcher block.

First, sprinkle baking soda onto a wet sponge and scrub over the butcher block.
Be sure you rinse it well.
Then re-season the wood by lightly oiling the surface with mineral oil (NOT vegetable or olive oil).
Wipe excess liquids with a paper towel.



Baked Halibut with Tomato Sauce

2 lbs. Halibut
1/2 tablespoon sugar
2 cups tomatoes
1 tablespoon capers
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup water
3 tablespoons flour
1 slice onion
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 cloves
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Mix together; tomatoes, capers, water, onion, cloves, and sugar and cook over low-medium heat for twenty minutes.

Melt butter, add flour, and stir into hot mixture. Add salt and pepper, cook ten minutes, and strain.

Clean fish, put in baking-pan, pour around half the sauce, and bake thirty-five minutes, basting often. Remove to hot platter, pour around remaining sauce. Serve over whole wheat pasta and garnish with parsley.


Enjoy ...

Frannie



The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.-Edmund Burke

Don't be fooled by the calendar. There are only as many days in the year as you make use of.- Charles Richards

Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever. Psalm 107:1

6 comments:

T-girl said...

HEY! I was JUST sitting here thinking by butcher block was nasty what should I do????? LMAO No joke!

HEY! LOL I also happen to have a VERY recipe and love it! It is yummy!

What is with you tonight... get out of my head and stop peeping in my windows... NOW! LOL

Prunella Jones said...

I love to eat fish but I rarely cook it. It's too intimadating. I always mess t up.

Anonymous said...

I like that you post these helpful hints and recipes...you come up with some real good ones.

RWBB said...

Wow, and here I was impressed with myself for not horking the stirfry.

TTQ said...

I'm glad you are posting the stuff that makes YOU happy, it's your blog!

Frannie Farmer said...

T .. You need to wash those windows girl, I can't hardly see the TV through 'em.
Love (L-O-V-E) the recipe.
Pru - it takes courage and a really good fan - to get the stink outta the house if you screw it up. It has taken me years to feel comfortable cooking it in the house, ususally Mr. F grills it - but he never makes it how I want it so - yea, I took over. (Shocking?)
Trish - I am glad you like it .. It is fun for me and keeps me thinking -- you know grown up stuff instead of the pb & j stuff that is usually on the plate.
TSS - you should still be impressed with yourself. Or at least I think so - guess I'll have to look up *horking* .. :O)
TTQ .. thanks sweetie. I appreciate that ...