Thursday, February 01, 2007

I can't type today.

or I could title this post: the day that Frannie sliced and diced her own finger ...

that sounds a little ghastly though, right? And it is … ghastly.

You see, I might have mentioned once, or twenty times, that I cook. A Lot. So, lately I have been in search of tools to make the preparation for cooking a little easier … when you peel 20 or 30 pounds of potatoes, slice a gazillion carrots and grate approximately 50 pounds of cheese a week … well, you kinda wanna streamline the process a bit.

So, I picked up this handy little device …

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

and it works wonders, it is an animal when it comes to fruits and vegetables ... seriously, I don’t know how I lived with out it this long.

The downside? Well, the learning curve – ya know… every tool has its intricacies. This one … well, you have to hold it just so. And if you don't ... well, ummm ... it gets a wee bit snippy. With your digits. I guess I wasn't paying it enough attention; perhaps I gripped it a bit too tight ... because the retaliation was fierce.

Somewhere between carrots #27 and #28 it took a good part of the tip of my finger off - and let me just tell you – it hurt like h-e-doublehockeysticks! I contemplated posting a picture so you could share in my misery, but every time I remove the bandage I get all weak and stuff …

Anywho ... I gave out a yelp and scared the little children, who (of course) came a runnin’ to see what was wrong with MaaMaa … I had to send ‘em out to get Mr. Farmer, who told me I had to stop the cookin’ process right now .... umm I don't think so Mr. Man, I've got food to deliver in roughly 32 minutes and I am not gonna be late for the ladies luncheon at church ... you know how Mrs. Wilson likes to gossip; if I'm late, the rumors will spread and suddenly everyone in town will just know I'm some sort of irresponsible derelict. That woman, she shure does talk, and talk, and talk ... and well sweetie, this is the ladies luncheon and you know they invited the Baptists from across town ... if I am late, well they'll all just think terrible thoughts about our little congregation ....

Well, at about this time ... Mr. Farmer placed a gag in my mouth gently guided me to table, where he bandaged my hand ... not once, not twice but ... five or six times. There was a lot of blood, which the children found quite fascinating - what is wrong with them?

Anywho ... it has taken me a lloonngg time to type this little ditty ... and AngelBaby is still ClingyBaby and well, its Thursday - and I made it through another day ...

God Bless!


Frannie


Anger is never without a reason, but seldom a good one. - Benjamin Franklin

O Lord, let your ear be attentive to the prayer of this your servant and to the prayer of your servants who delight in revering your name. Give your servant success today by granting him favor in the presence of this man. Nehemiah 1:11

6 comments:

jagular said...

Ouch! I know how that is. I once shredded the end of the first two fingers on my left hand. And right in front of my son. I managed to get the nails, bone, and blood. Not much they could do for them, and they had to amputate. It took me a whole year to learn to type again.
Oh the memories.

BTW I like the quotes and scriptures at the end of each entry. That's really nice.

Jenster said...

LOL!!! I don't mean to laugh at your trauma - in fact, I'm not laughing at your trauma. I AM laughing at your description of the entire event. :o)

This story just begs the question - did you get blood in the food??

Oh. And how did the Ladies' Luncheon with all those Baptists turn out??

Prunella Jones said...

Yikes! That tool looks like something out of the Saw movies! Hope your finger feels better soon. I nearly sliced off a digit opening a can of dog food once. I could see my knuckle bone which totally made me faint.

Mackenzie1975 said...

Oh!!! I don't do well with that kind of pain. OUCH. Your kids sound so funny though!!
Maybe Mr. Farmer can cook YOU dinner tonight to give those fingers of yours a rest. :)

Frannie Farmer said...

Jag - blech, it isn't that bad, but it does make typing toight because it is on the side and the tip of my pounter, which it seems I use a lot :O)
I am glad you like the quotes and scripture. It feels important to me ... so, I am grateful when others can appreciate it.
Jen - I might laugh tomorrow.
No blood in food, got to church on time .. but that is another story :)
Pru - I didn't get down to the bone or anything but what is especially gross is that you can see the cross hatches (?) from the tool ... like a saw or something - ick. Yea, call me Grace :O) hahahaha!
Mack - ha. they are funny - almost as funny as the thought that Mr. F would cook dinner ....

Frannie Farmer said...

Jag - blech, it isn't that bad, but it does make typing toight because it is on the side and the tip of my pounter, which it seems I use a lot :O)
I am glad you like the quotes and scripture. It feels important to me ... so, I am grateful when others can appreciate it.
Jen - I might laugh tomorrow.
No blood in food, got to church on time .. but that is another story :)
Pru - I didn't get down to the bone or anything but what is especially gross is that you can see the cross hatches (?) from the tool ... like a saw or something - ick. Yea, call me Grace :O) hahahaha!
Mack - ha. they are funny - almost as funny as the thought that Mr. F would cook dinner ....