Saturday, October 21, 2006

Collections

Some people have them. While others might call certain collections mere clutter ... others fondly reflect on the memories that each piece brings.

It is funny what people can actually *collect* ... stamps, Coins, Matchboxes (the cars or the actual Match Box, or even Match books), cars, trophies, bottles, Dolls, Trading Cards (baseball, football, basketball, hockey ... you name it), Beanie Babies, art, spoons, shoes, rocks, shells, buttons, figurines, Shotglasses...

While others collect with a specific theme, such as; cows, chickens, ducks, elephants, dogs, cats, monkey’s, butterflies, pigs, Disney, Looney Tunes, tea cups, Angels, Hello Kitty....

They may even limit it to a specific type collection; bulldogs or Hard Rock shot glasses, Coca Cola bottles, Mickey Mouse, Daffy Duck … etc.

Ok, you get my point ... the collection possibilities are endless.

But when is enough actually enough?

I have a friend who collects Snoopy. She has hundreds (perhaps thousands) of Snoopy items. They are everywhere … covering ever potentially bare spot in her house. It amazes me every time I see them all. Each time she receives an addition to her collection she is filled with glee.

On the other hand, I have a friend who mentioned that she like Dolphins … and so her collection began. For a few years everyone gave her Dolphin Gifts ... figurines, pictures, towels, pendants, toys, t-shirts. They just kept coming. At some point … her 40th birthday … my friend announced to everyone ‘NO MORE *&^%(#$ DOLPHINS’ … she had had enough. They were making her nuts and she only said she LIKED them … not that she loved them and couldn’t live another single day without owning every possible dolphin collectable.

I have never thought of myself as a collector … except of too much junk … but really nothing too specific. I never LOVED the hearts and rainbow themed items as a girl. I had Barbie's, but not in abundance. I liked Holly Hobbie, but never actually owned anything with her on it.

I never wanted to collect an animal item because didn’t want to see a cow/pig/cat in every room and I am not really much of an animal person … I know, I know … Frannie Farmer, not an animal person, well that just doesn’t wash – although I have animals, and I am glad we do, I am NOT their primary caretaker …

Anywho …

So, it came to my attention recently – via Mr. Farmer, of course – that I am actually a collector … we had some company over and somehow the topic of collections came up; I believe that Mr. Company was mentioning his personal collection of trains, while Mrs. Company rolled her eyes … and I might have commented that I just couldn’t find anything I loved enough to collect.

Well Mr. Farmer laughed so hard that he almost fell off of his chair. Can you imagine?

He swiftly made it a point to show me the errors my ways by directing me to the book shelf. This particular book shelf, one of many in our household, houses my cookbooks.

I must admit I have quite a few. But I need them – right? I cook A LOT! For a variety of people, therefore I need a variety of cook books.

I have cookbooks dedicated to different ethnic origins; Italian, Mexican, Chinese, Indian, Caribbean - yes, I do need the Caribbean cookbook, you just never know who you will meet that needs a Caribbean meal!

There are the specific food cookbooks; Potatoes, pasta, rice, chicken, Chocolate (hey, doesn’t everyone have a chocolate cookbook?), beans, beef.

And you have to have the specialty cookbooks; BBQ, Soups, Appetizers, Vegetarian, Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving.

Then I throw in a few destination cookbooks for fun; Italy, Asia, Seattle, Texas, Germany ... oh there are too many to name.

I won't even go into the baking, every day, normal cookbooks that I own.

Ok, so I have have hundreds of cookbooks, I reckon that makes me a collector.

Of course, in general I only use one.

What do you collect?

Blessing to you and yours.
~ Frannie

Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
- Maurice Setter

I desire to do your will, O my God; your law is within my heart.
Psalm 40:


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, this was a great post!!
I thought of you this weekend because I hosted a dinner party and made a great cream of pumpkin soup and served it in small hollowed out cooked pie pumpkins. It was so super cute and a huge hit. WELL. I did not have a tried and true recipe, so I almost commented to you to see if you had one...it all worked out.

Sprittibee said...

I have a bunch of bee stuff in my kitchen (not bright yellow and black, however), and I have a bunch of cook books also, and I've been collecting stamps from the PO since the early 90's. :0)

Frannie Farmer said...

Mac .. I have several great recipes .. feel free to ask anytime!
Sprittibee .. see some people are just good at it. I think I might have some sort of collecting ADD because I change my mind a lot. I like this, no I think I like this ... no this is what I like.
I love bee's - the cute no live kind :O)